Sunday, August 14, 2011

Sunday Bits of Tid

Howay’all? I hope everybody’s doing well. I’m still getting settled in my new job. As you may have noticed, posting has slowed to a crawl here in Backwards Land. My schedule hasn’t allowed as much time as I’d like, but I’m still here.

Also, I noticed I picked up two more followers once I started slowing down on the posting. How that happened, I may never know. But anyway, welcome, you guys and/or gals, as the case may be. I’m gonna guess you’ve been poking around in the archives, a pastime I always recommend when I’m not here.

Today’s post will be a sort of review of the Republican presidential race that I’ve noticed from the corner of my eye.

The Iowa Straw Poll results from yesterday are in: Michelle Bachmann won, with Ron Paul coming in a strong second. Tim Pawlenty came in a distant third, which naturally raises more than a few questions about the future of his campaign. Not that Iowa is any kind of bellwether for the campaign, at least in recent years. If I remember correctly, Mike Huckabee won the last one in ’07 and went exactly nowhere after that. It’s still early.

But Bachmann’s strong showing is somewhat encouraging. How long she’ll remain the front-runner is open to speculation, which I'll explain in a minute. The reason I find her encouraging is more about her message of conservatism and fiscal restraint. Despite what we’re hearing from the White House, most Americans are weary of the spending going on in Washington these days. If you’ll recall, our credit rating was downgraded not because of political gridlock, but because of the unusually high amount of peacetime debt this administration has caused.

But the big news from yesterday was Rick Perry’s announcement to run for president. Personally, I’m pretty excited. The last time I surveyed the field, I had the feeling that there was no one who could generate any kind of energy for a strong Republican run. That changed yesterday with Perry’s speech.

He has the message along with a strong record of success in Texas. During this Obama Depression, Texas has added a lot of jobs. He’s passed something I’d like to see enacted nationwide, a “loser pays” bill that has stopped many frivolous lawsuits. His campaign ad touts the fact that doctors are coming to Texas as a result. Here's the link to his site.

Overall, I believe he’s now the front-runner. Avoiding Iowa was a shrewd move that sucked all the oxygen from the other Republican candidates.

On a side note, I was over at the Fox News site shortly after his speech and boy, were the Axel-trolls out in force in the comment section. There were some real doozies in there, accusing him of being everything he’s not and trying to dredge up anything that might be considered a smear against him. It was like throwing something up against a wall, hoping it would stick.

I have no doubt that we’re going to see and hear the Chicago Corrupt-o-crat Election Machine cranked up to the redline in the ugliest and nastiest presidential race we’ve seen. Ever since I was a kid, Chicago politics has been a well-known joke, like “I see dead voters.” Nepotism and favoritism is the norm there, along with the liberal Democrat mindset that has reduced that once-great city to a modern ghost town. Those who can leave are doing so rapidly. Corruption is rampant. If something can’t last, it won’t.

Here’s what you, gentle reader, can expect from the race between Obama and Perry: the MBM will be out to destroy Perry with vim and vigor. Everything Obama has done will be wonderful and good. The seas will have receded, the world will love us and there are two unicorns in every driveway.

Perry, by contrast, will be a kitten-killer dressed in a skin-suit made from dead children. And that will just be tomorrow. It’ll get nastier with each progressing day.

And. It. Will. Not. Work. Perry will be compared to GW Bush in as negative a way as possible. It won’t work because things have gotten much worse under this president than they ever were under Bush. Right about now, everyone would love to have full employment, cheaper food prices and $1.75/gal gasoline.

Anyone with two functioning neurons to rub together can see what a disaster this administration is for the country. Everything that should be going up is going down and everything that should be going down is going up. But you knew that already, didn’t you?

I’ll carbon-date myself and say I’ve seen this before. If you’re of a certain age, you remember it too. I have to keep reminding myself that there’s a whole new generation of Americans who haven’t. Progressivism (the American version of communism) grows in power and influence, cutting a swath of economic destruction until the nation comes to its senses and stops it. That’s what happened in the late ‘70’s with Jimmy Carter. Thankfully, the country had Ronaldus Magnus ride in on his white horse to save us.

It’s being repeated today.

I think the country will repudiate Obama and Progressivism in general in a way we haven’t seen since 1980. I look for Perry to take the presidency in a landslide that will make Reagan’s look tame by comparison. And thanks to the influence of the Tea Party, Republicans will take Congress.

That’s what it’s going to take to get us back on track. The sudden and well-planned expansion of Washington’s negative influence on the economy has to be stopped and reversed. The only way to do that is to dismantle everything that has been done by the Pelosi- and Reid-led 111th Congress. And I do mean everything: ObamaCare has to be repealed, along with the Frank-Dodd Wall Street takeover, the student loan takeover, and any other bill that got passed by that wretched hive of scum and villainy.

As I’ve noted before, every law that’s passed reduces our freedom, because that’s the way our form of government operates. And each new law generates scores of regulation for the various agencies in charge of enforcing the law, thus acting as a multiplier. One new law leads to many new regulations, a larger bureaucracy, more taxes, and a greater restriction on the economy and freedom, rinse and repeat.

But this is a good thing to Progressives. They call it “being productive,” but the effects wind up being anything but. It’s like they went to all the best schools, but somehow missed one teeny, tiny detail about our system of government.

And that’s why I’m here, to remind them.



OK, I vaguely remember saying something about some tids. Let’s…

Dogs of War.

Toys of War.

Assault with a Deadly Bratwurst.

A Kraut, a Brazilian guitar player and a guy from Jersey walk into a recording studio

15 Tips on How to be a Good Leftist.

And finally, I’d like to introduce the official theme song of this here blog. You might remember a band from the ‘70’s called Klaatu. When they first came on the musical scene, it was suggested that they were the Beatles in disguise, a great compliment that came back to haunt them when they refused to identify themselves until their third album. This Toronto band considered the recording studio to be another member of the group, which is why they didn’t tour until the very end of their run, around 1981.

I’ve rediscovered this outstanding band and want you guys to hear one of their songs, Silly Boys. And yes, some of the lyrics are backwards…




There are lots more of their tunes on YouTube. This song, Sub Rosa Subway, is about a fellow named Alfred Beach and his surreptitious effort to build a subway under New York City. He was the founder of Scientific American Magazine and his grandson was a big Klaatu fan until his death in 1997.

Karen and Richard Carpenter covered their first release, Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft.

I’m going to try to post more often, so be sure to check back in.

Y’all have a good’un.

1 comment:

Ken Krout said...

Good post. I am usually stunned by the "inherited mess" lies being repeated too often. I actually was alive during the Bush years and things were going pretty damn good. My house went up in value not down, I had a good job, and 4 of my siblings had homes who no longer do. I bought a new car whenever I felt like it and could pay for it. I took vacations, etc. If that was "having the car in the ditch" please drive us back in! Liberals are always re-writing history but it takes some real work to rewrite YESTERDAY when the people you are lying to saw it all in person. In the words of Chico Marx- " Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes?"