Thursday, January 14, 2010

Pat Robertson's Disgraceful Distortion of Christianity

In the aftermath of the strongest earthquake to strike the island of Haiti in over 200 years, Pat Robertson had this to say about it:

They were under the heel of the French, uh, you know Napoleon the 3rd and whatever, and they got together and swore a pact to the Devil.
It's tough to find a place to begin addressing this idiocy. I could just let this quote float, buoyed by its own insensitivity, but I'm a little more inclined to request that Dr. Robertson please refrain from ever saying anything again. He just lost what little credibility he had as a spokesman.

I'm not alone in my criticism. Peter Wehner over at NRO's The Corner denounces his words, as does Founding Bloggers. Ace and my fellow morons chime in here.

The most disturbing aspect of this assault on Christianity is that he is considered by many on the left to be the voice of American Christians, mostly due to his presidential run. I can assure them, he does not speak for me, nor anyone else I know. His words will be repeated in order to further distort the image of Christians as knuckle-dragging, gun-toting inbreds. Thus, a false image will be reinforced, ironically, by a preacher.

Pat Robertson may have his own TV outlet, many followers and lots of money, but his unthinking criticism of innocent victims reveals that he's only interested in hearing his own words.

He is an embarassment to the Christian faith.

No comments: