Monday, September 26, 2011

One Christian Value I’d Like to See in Government

If you frequent political sites on these here Interwebs as I do, you read a lot of comments from others. Some of them make sense, some don’t.

If you try to be an informed voter, you occasionally venture into hostile territory to read what’s going on. If you’re a conservative, this means bravely venturing to sites like Daily Kos and Huffington Post to find out what the extreme left wing pundits have to say about political life in these United States.

It’s also an intellectual exercise to compare your beliefs against others. A testing, if you will, between what you know is right in your heart and the latest in leftist ideology.

I try to be as objective as possible, as I’m sure you do. I like being accurate in any personal assessment of an issue. Truth is what I’m looking for.

That’s why one comment I ran across the other day tends to stick with me. Since I do read quite a bit, I can’t remember where it was that I saw this comment. They all become one big blur after a few hours.

Anyway, that comment went something like this: “Republicans are evil because they want to impose a Christian theocracy on America. They want a preacher or a policeman on permanent duty in your bedroom to make sure you only do sex their way. They want America to become some Puritanical Utopia with them in charge, all the laws would be thrown out and replaced with Biblical law, women would all be barefooted, pregnant slaves of their husbands and children would all be mind-numbed robots lumbering in a trance to the Christian school/gulag where they would receive the latest lesson in how to hate everyone who’s not exactly like them, just like it says in the Bible.”

Really?

It’s a sad day when anyone in America thinks that way about their fellow countrymen and neighbors. I’d like to think that the commenter was merely using high snark, but I’m afraid I know better. I’ve seen far too many comments of this nature to think that’s the case.

The biggest problem with that isn’t the commenter’s apparent lack of knowledge of the Faith. It’s the fact that, like many Americans, they’ve been bamboozled into believing what someone else has told them instead of using their own experience. They’ve bought into a false image that someone else has concocted in order to elicit that exact response.

It’s the same thing that the leftist-controlled media has done with Sarah Palin, Dick Cheney and the Tea Party. We had a name for this tactic of making people believe things that aren’t true back when we had a common, identifiable, very real and present enemy named Russia: propaganda.

Propaganda was something we considered ourselves incapable of here in America. “That can’t happen here,” was the common belief thanks to our sense of national unity. However, that was then, this is now. As the line between opinion and reportage has been blurred over the past twenty years or so, it’s become more difficult to separate fact from fiction.

You really need to examine the validity of anything you read or hear for yourself. This requires an inner foundation of Truth, a standard separate from your emotions, that tells you the difference between bullshit and not-bullshit.

But, I’m digressing. Sorry.

You see where I’m going with this. You’re expected to swallow everything your betters in Washington and their lapdog media tell you without examining the truth of what they say. And if you disbelieve them, well, then there must be something wrong with you. After all, who doesn’t want to fit in with all the really cool people?

So, where was I? Oh yeah, Christian values in government.

There is one Christian tenet I would like to see those in Washington use: The Golden Rule. You know, the one that says to treat others the way you want to be treated.

I’d really like to see our elected officials use this just a bit more than they do, especially when it comes to my tax dollars. I don’t like to see my money wasted on things that have already proven to fail, like “green energy.” Or societal engineering. Or fundamentally transforming the country. Thanks, but I liked it just the way it was, especially when we had a good economy, full employment, cheap energy and groceries, sorta like we had just a few years ago.

I’d like to know how Warren Buffett would feel if I were to take a percentage of his money from him and use it in a way I knew he wouldn’t like, wastefully.

Simply because I could.

No comments: